Saturday, February 19, 2005

The Michael Jordan/Wayne Gretzky of Lacrosse

Last night, I had the opportunity to see the San Jose Stealth lose (14-6) to the Colorado Mammoth in a National Lacrosse League match (thanks for the tickets, Joe!). It was the last regular season appearance in San Jose for lacrosse legend Gary Gait. True to form, Gait either scored or assisted on the first three Mammoth goals.

I have to admit, I had a great time at the game.
To describe it quickly...imagine regular outdoor lacrosse played like hockey: it had the back-and-forth quickness of tennis, the in-your-face agressiveness of hockey, the light-up-the-scoreboard scoring of basketball (well...peewee basketball). Perhaps this is why it is the fastest growing high school sport in America.

Based on what I saw last night and what I have read today...this sport is going to grow in popularity over the years. If you get a chance...check it out!

No comments: